Think. Compose. Expose.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

On the Road Again.


This image, you may remember, was from a Sunday centerpiece we did on Brad Yoder. Yoder was hit by a truck along Earlysville Road while riding his bicycle and was severely injured. I covered portions of Brad's rehabilitation at ACAC. I am amazed everyday that people let us do what we do. He was going to let me document his life at home, but we decided we didn't have the time for that. For the main image in the package I wanted an up close picture of Brad riding his bike.

Brad rides with a few friends during his lunch break and this presented a prime opportunity. He takes bicycling very seriously. His very nice bike probably weighs a total of five pounds in my guestimation. It also cost a significant percentage of my yearly income. For this shot, I probably strapped 6 pounds worth of equipment to his handlebars. I used a couple special camera supports to attach my camera to his bike. I wanted the sky to be nice and saturated so I underexposed a bit. Underexposing the sky also underexposed Brad so a flash was added to bring him back to the proper level. Then a radio trigger was taped to all of this so I could drive at a safe distance and tell the camera to fire. Simple shot, lengthy execution.

-Matt

No comments: